Thursday, April 17, 2008

Update on pub signs

Goat in Boots pub sign

I have now collected 85 pub signs and am in the process of defining my inclusion critera. Some places put up what I would call a pseudo sign - single colour, text only and generally they look pretty characterless. If the building appeals I might include them but in my opinion they are not in keeping with the original intent of pub signs which was to have a visual way of identifying a pub for illiterate people.



The full collection so far is at http://picasaweb.google.com/j9bowes/PubSigns2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've just published a book about pub names so keep my eyes open for any new pub-related posts. Great photo and I'll check out the rest of them.

As you say, pub signs were probably the earliest form of pictorial advertising for a largely illiterate population.

Pubs were places to meet, exchange gossip and maybe even find a job. They provided food and warmth, employers often paid wages there and landlords extended rudimentary banking services to customers.

Their names reflect the different patrons they’ve served over the centuries. Lamb & Flag – Crusaders. Angel – pilgrims. Coach & Horses – stagecoach passengers. Navigation – canal boatmen. Station Arms – railway travellers. Carpenters / Masons/ Blacksmiths – local tradesmen. Cricketers – sportsmen.

Other names have been inspired by religion, royalty, heroes, ambition and the odd scandal and, between them, they tell quite a story.

I haven't a clue where Goat in Boots comes from. Goat was often associated with religion, freemasonry or the guild of Cordwainers but where the boots come from, I don't know so I'm off to research it now!

Elaine Saunders
Author – A Book About Pub Names
www.completetext.com