Friday, April 18, 2008

Shipp's Tearooms - an absolute gem

Shipp's tearoomsToday while I was exploring Borough Market near London Bridge, I happened upon Shipp's Tearooms. The sight of the shop immediately prompted the reaction I get when a place, object or scene resonate in complete harmony with my tastes. What first caught my eye was the collection of china teacups suspended by the handles from the ceiling just inside the window. A glance inside revealed a pretty and interesting interior - an eclectic mix of embroidered tablecloths, unmatched chairs, pink walls with large mirrors and white chandeliers as lighting. Each table had a consistent but individually unique setting - a small flower arrangement, a candle, an ornament. Orders were served on china that did not necessarily match but was co-ordinated in terms of style.

tea for oneThe range of cakes and teas on offer was impressive and I enjoyed a pot of Orange Peko tea and a slice of Apple and Plum tart. The total bill for that was £ 5.25 which was exceptional value and the service was excellent. I was amused by the use of a scrabble ledge and letters to indicate a reserved table! I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who likes something outside the square.

No comments: