Thursday, April 3, 2008

England by pub signs

Fourteen years on, I was quite surprised to note that my fascination with English Pub signs had not dwindled and so on my first day here I decided to collect photos of them. I love them as little works of art both in the sign itself and the wrought iron hanger.

It has proven to be a great way to explore new parts of London. Pick an area, and see where the pub signs take you! In the process I have happened upon many serendipitous discoveries of interesting shops, pieces of history and pretty scenes.

I have read that there are 3500 pubs in London alone! So far I have collected 50 including two from Scandinavia. Getting good photos of the signs is quite problematic - getting close enough necessarily means looking up on a steep angle. One needs to take account of the background (sky or building?) so that the detail can be picked out and try not to be intrusive to any local patrons.

2 comments:

Judy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judy said...

Very impressive Neeny. Emily's favourite pub sign was the half moon - she is a bit obsessed with the moon or "loon" as she often calls it since her Pop told her it was a big balloon in the sky. You've certainly taken time to get good shots of them. Well done.
Jude