Thursday, April 3, 2008

First week in London


I've now been here a full week and settled into a routine of sorts. When I was here in 1994 it was all about cramming as much as possible into each day. Because I have many weeks this time round, I have the luxury of a more leisurely pace, savouring each treat rather than becoming numbed and blasse from overload. It also gives me time to notice and enjoy the emerging Spring and respond to whatever I feel like doing each day. A favourite way to spend a day is to pick an area and really check it out - I love the planned and the serendipitous. The thrill of turning a corner and unexpectedly happening upon some well known landmark or building.
Claire and Alan have made me very welcome and comfortable - I am becoming familiar with all the bus routes to and from their flat, partly through a trial an error process!
The highlights so far have been

  • Covent Garden

  • the Boat Race

  • Victoria and Albert Museum

  • the Terracotta Army and

  • Rediscovering my previous interest in pub signs - 32 so far and growing daily!

Last Friday I decided to go to Covent Garden and whilst a tad disappointed in the markets, the buskers were amazing and the surrounding streets exciting with all the theatres and pub signs. I kept hearing different songs from musicals in my head, prompted by street signs. Seeing the proximity of the Royal Opera House to the Covent Garden market conjured images of Eliza Doolittle and her flower basket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to your pub signs photos. I've just published a book on the history of pub names and I'm always interested to see which ones people pick up on. Enjoy London!

Elaine Saunders
Author: A Book About Pub Names
www.completetext.com