Saturday, May 24, 2008

Wrought iron obsession

I love wrought iron. There is something about the material and the designs it inspires that resonates strongly with me. Imagine my delight when I discovered that the Victoria and Albert museum has a gallery dedicated to wrought iron. Unfortunately my camera battery was flat at the time so I do not have any photos of this marvellous collection.

My fascintation with pub signs also extends to their wrought iron hangers which range from the very plain (eg The Malt House, Fulham Broadway) to highly ornate (see The Mitre, Greenwich).

I have photographed many examples during this trip both in the UK and in Europe.


A selection is provided here in a web gallery. It includes examples of shop signs, lamposts, window boxes, gates and other architectural features.





No comments: