Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day trip to Bath

Yesterday I travelled by train to Bath to spend the day there. As the train approached I had a building sense of anticipation as the stone villages started to appear and the countryside became increasingly green and picturesque. I was not disappointed. As soon as I got out of the train and glimpsed my surroundings, I was hooked. I had that same feeling that Greenwich gave me and it echoes the special feelings evoked on my last trip by Cambridge, Oxford and Stamford. There is something about the combination of stone, cobblestones, leafy surrounds and classic architecture that resonates strongly with me.

My day in Bath was one of ongoing delight and discovery. I took in two tours on the open top bus - around the city and into the surrounding hills which was a good way to get an overview in limited time. I did not think to take my ticket from the equivalent tour in Rome to get my discount - damn!

I didn't do any of the other touristy things (eg Roman Baths, Jane Austen centre) as I preferred to spend my time walking around the city and getting a feel for it. I had a coffee break at a tiny cafe on the bridge which was special and I had dinner at Sally Lunn's teahouse (early bird special - two courses and glass of wine for 10 pounds) which was a timely reviver before heading back to London on the train.

I really hope to return there one day - I could see myself living and working there for a few months perhaps.

King Bladud's pigs
Oh the pig - it is one of 100 that are part of a current festival to do with the Bath legend of King Bladud. The King Bladud's pigs will be auctioned for charity later in the year.

Bath photos
A selection of my 200 photos are in an online album!

No comments: