Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sissinghurst Castle magic


Yesterday I took the train to Kent to visit Sissinghust Castle Garden - a long awaited treat. With my holiday drawing to an end, I have left the gardens as far as possible into May and must now see what I want to see regardless of the weather. Although overcast, there was no rain and no wind so it was very pleasant for wandering around a large garden. Apparently Friday is not generally busy at Sissinghurst and that was the case yesterday as well. Pictures speak louder than words though one picture cannot ever convey the spirit of a garden. As well as enjoying the magnificent vistas and individual garden rooms, there were many interesting things in the form of individual plants and flowers. Further, I was inspired by a variety of ideas that could be adapted for my own garden back at home.

See photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/j9bowes/sissinghurst

The trip to Kent involved a train to Staplehurst and then a transfer bus. I had an hour to spare waiting for the bus so I walked into the village of Staplehurst and found some lovely houses, gardens and a few pubs:

135 The Railway Tavern (Staplehurst, Kent)
136 The Kings Head (Staplehurst, Kent)
137 The Bell Inn (Staplehurst, Kent)
138 The Lamb (Staplehurst, Kent)

No comments: